The Champlain Canal
History     •     Things To Do     •      Recreation     •     Boating     •     Visitor Information     •     Area Maps

Saratoga National Historical Park

Saratoga National Historical Park

Map These Locations in Google, click here

History and Attractions Along the Canal

Because of its strategic location, the Champlain Canal Byway and surrounding areas have witnessed more than two centuries of military actions - including the French and Indian War, Revolutionary War, War of 1812, and territorial Native American conflicts.

Today the area has a rich collection of places to revisit this history - from the "Birthplace of the American Navy" at Whitehall - to the hallowed battlegrounds at Saratoga National Historical Park, where the Continentals forced the British invasion army to surrender and won the "Turning Point of the Revolution".


Website: www.nps.gov/sara
Phone: (518) 664-9821 ext. 224

Peebles Island

View From Peebles Island

Waterford

Peebles Island State Park

Located in Waterford (but reached from Delaware Avenue in Cohoes), Peebles Island State Park is a combined use State Park located where the Mohawk River meets the Hudson. This rich floodplain was used by Native Americans and Colonists for planting and livestock grazing. Former industrial buildings house the Peebles Island Resource Center - serving as a source of interpretive, technological, and archaeological support for other parks and historic sites. If you've got a picnic lunch, this is a great place to kick back and enjoy. There's a large cookout and picnic area near the water, and a modern pavilion (with catering kitchen, which can be rented) in case of a turn in the weather. There's also a waterfront overlook with small boat launch, large nature walk areas, and remains of Revolutionary era breastworks built by Thaddeous Koscuisko in 1777. 

Website: www.nysparks.com/parks/info.asp?parkID=120
Phone: (518) 237-7000 ext. 220


Waterford Museum

The Waterford Museum

Waterford

The Waterford Museum

Waterford is the oldest incorporated Village in the United States - since 1794. As such, the Waterford Museum reflects this rich and lengthy history - from Colonial agriculture to Revolutionary War strategy - positioned at the junction of one of America's most historical transportation routes.

Website: www.waterfordmuseum.com
Phone: (518-238-0809)


Waterford Flight Of Locks

New and Old Locks at Waterford

Waterford

The Flight Of Locks

"The Waterford Flight" is a set of five high-lift locks that raises boats from the Hudson River at Erie Lock 2 to the Mohawk River at Erie Lock 6. With a total lift of 169 feet, it's twice as high as the total lift of the entire Panama Canal. When the canal first opened in 1825 it was only four feet deep. Original sections of the old canal are still visible, along with the towpaths for horse and driver. In 1918 the modern Barge Canal was opened, creating an 800 mile system with an increased depth of 12.5 feet throughout. Trails and locks are open to the public, and the magnificent views from the higher locks extend across the entire Hudson Valley.

Website: www.nyscanals.gov
Phone: NYS Canal System (1-800-4-CANAL-4)

 


Saratoga National Historical Park

Visitor Center at Saratoga National Historical Park

Stillwater (14 miles north of Waterford)

Saratoga National Historical Park

"The Battles of Saratoga were the most important in the Millennium." R.W.Apple, Jr. Washington Bureau Editor and Chief noted in the New York Times Best of Millennium Special Issue in 1999. 

On June 17, 1777, British Major-General John Burgoyne left St. Johns, Canada with an army of over 7000 professional soldiers and 138 cannon. He wound up at Saratoga at the end of summer on the west side of the Hudson River in October 1777 - shocked, defeated, and forced to surrender arms after two major battles with the Americans under Gen. Horatio Gates. It was the campaign that was supposed to end the Revolution, but turned out to dramatically change our American History - and world history, too.

You can start your visit with a picnic at the modern Visitors' Center. There's plenty of literature, artifacts, presentations, and helpful staff to get started. Access to the Saratoga Battlefield is easy - via a 9 mile tour road with 10 specific tour stops at key locations. The tour road is open to motor vehicles April 1 to mid-November, weather permitting. Access by foot or bicycle is year-round, weather permitting. Hiking and horse trails are also provided, along with picnic areas. In the winter, you can ski cross-country and snowshoe. The Visitors' Center is open 9 to 5 every day, and can be contacted for descriptions of planned events and year-round programs.

(518-664-9821 ext. 224)

Website: www.nps.gov/sara
Phone: (518) 664-9821 ext. 224

 


Saratoga National Cemetery

Saratoga National Cemetery

Stillwater

Saratoga National Cemetery

President Abraham Lincoln established the first national cemeteries during the Civil War to provide burial space for those who had died in the service of their country. Opened in 1999, Saratoga, with its vast historical and cultural resources, is an ideal location which veterans and their dependents can view with pride for decades to come. Nestled among the rolling green hills of Saratoga County on a bluff overlooking the Hudson River and Champlain Canal, the cemetery offers pastoral views of distant dairy farms and scenic vistas of the beautiful upland areas that comprise the surrounding valley and the Green Mountains of Vermont.

The cemetery office is open 8-4:30 weekdays. Visitors may access the grounds every day between sunrise and dusk. A complete information center is available to visitors.

(518-581-9128)

Website: http://www.cem.va.gov
Phone: (518) 581-9128

 


Schuyler House

Schuyler House

Schuylerville

Schuyler House

This beautiful estate, including extensive grounds and the historic country home of General Schuyler, is well worth the trip. After the British burned the original to keep the Americans from using it, the present house was erected shortly after Burgoyne's surrender, and became the center of Schuyler's extensive farming and milling operations. The house is open Wed. through Sun., 10 to 4:30 mid-June through Labor Day. House tours begin roughly every half-hour. A number of period-style events and reenactments are held at Schuyler House throughout the season.
(518-664-9821 ext 224) for additional information.

Website: www.nps.gov/sara
Phone: (518) 664-9821 ext. 224

 


Saratoga Battle Monument

Saratoga Battle Monument

Village of Victory

Saratoga Battle Monument

The monument's historical cemetery and spectacular views make it worth a stop. The monument commemorates Burgoyne's surrender to Gates on October 17, 1777. The 155 foot memorial was completed in 1883, and stands within what was Burgoyne's entrenched camp during the final days of the campaign.

Website: www.nps.gov/sara
Phone: (518) 664-9821 ext. 224

 

Olde Fort House Museum

Olde Fort House

Fort Edward

Olde Fort House Museum

A relaxing place to visit, with substantial grounds, gardens and outbuildings. The main house was built by Patrick Smyth in 1772 using timbers taken from the ruins of the fortifications at Ft. Edward and served as a headquarters for both British and American Generals during the Revolution. Gen. Washington dined here on two different occasions in 1783. The campus has five buildings, including a tollhouse, law office, and schoolhouse. Open daily 1 to 4 from June to September.

Website: www.fortedward.com
Phone: (518) 747-9600

 


Rogers Island Visitor Center

Rogers Island Visitor Center

 

Fort Edward

Rogers Island Visitor Center

The island was the site of a large British encampment during the French & Indian War and was also the camp of the famous Robert Rogers from 1756 to 1759 along with his Rangers. It was here that Rogers developed his "Rules of Ranging" still in use by ground-fighting troops today.
Historical displays and archaeological artifacts detailing Fort Edward's earliest known Native American inhabitants through the American Revolutionary War. Tourist information. Open Labor Day-Memorial Day, Wed.-Sat. 10-4 and Sun. 1-4. Open daily during summer. No admission fee.

Call 518-747-3693 for special programs and encampments.
Website: www.rogersisland.org

 


Feeder Canal

Feeder Canal

Fort Edward and Glens Falls

Feeder Canal

In addition to the waterway, the Feeder Canal Park is a seven mile trail - a linear scenic park complete with locks, calm water and wide towpath for bikes, joggers, rowers, and general sightseers.
This system was completed in 1832 - to connect the high waters of the Hudson to the lower level Champlain Canal. It's now preserved, and still providing water for operation of the Champlain Canal. At Hudson Falls, there's an excellent view of five old locks "The Five Combines".

No admission fee, open year round.
Web Site: www.feedercanal.com
Phone: 518-792-5363

 


Whitehall Harbor

Whitehall Harbor

Whitehall

Whitehall Harbor and Skenesborough Museum

Whitehall's Main Street has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places, and the Museum reflects the rich history of the town. Collections include toys, tools, railroad and canal memorabilia, and Revolutionary War artifacts.

Whitehall (Skenesborough) was settled in 1759 as an early trading center, and saw British and French activity during the French and Indian Wars. Its harbor was the first aggressive action of the Revolution in New York State, when Benedict (remember him?) Arnold's men took possession of a schooner which became the first ship of the U.S. Navy . The first U.S. ships were constructed here and sailed with Arnold in 1776 to Lake Champlain, where the fleet's action at Valcour Island slowed British advances by a critical year.

This canalfront development includes lengthy new seawalls with boat utilities, large park, watercraft launch, and general recreation area - a beautiful addition to a graceful colonial waterfront town. All in walking distance of Amtrak, the town center, and Lake Champlain!

Phone: 518-499-0716/1155
Website: Skenesborough Museum

 


Skene Manor

Skene Manor

Whitehall

Skene Manor

Skene Manor is not the site of Revolutionary battles, but from its location on Skene Mountain it does offer a tremendous panoramic view - miles of the Champlain Valley, Whitehall, and the Champlain Canal winding through it all. Built in 1874 for NYS Supreme Court Justice Joseph Potter, the manor is constructed of native mountain stone, and is an elegant Victorian, Gothic-style mansion. Presently owned by a local preservation society, it's great for a light lunch served with period style and grace, and tours of the home, grounds and gardens.

No admission fee.
Phone: 518-499-1906
Website: Skene Manor

 



© Saratoga County Chamber of Commerce 2002-2007. For more information on this site email info@saratoga.org

This site developed by the Saratoga County Chamber of Commerce in conjunction with:
Lakes To Locks Passage
Adirondack Regional Chamber of Commerce
The Chamber of Southern Saratoga County
Rensselaer County Tourism
Washington County Tourism